Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Colossians Study: Read Your Bible, Read Your Life



I am so excited to announce my upcoming Colossians Bible study series on Zoom. It starts on Wednesday, July 15 at 6:30 PM, and the last one is August 19.  


This is my description that just went up on its own page at Church of the Incarnation web site. And here's the link for the Study Guide for Week 1 so you can print it out ahead of time. 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Welcome to the Colossians class! My name is Virginia Knowles, and I am a Master of Ministry student at Asbury Theological Seminary. Creating and teaching this six week series is part of my Mentored Ministry internship at Church of the Incarnation, so I thank you so much for your interest in participating! My vision is to equip and empower people for spiritual growth through challenging times

We will use Inductive Bible Study (aka IBS) methods. Before you think you’re going to die of boredom from some sort of academic overload, I’d like to share a little story about why I am so excited about this. In February 2018 I joined a Bible study that Patricia Orlando was teaching as part of her own Asbury Seminary internship. One evening before the other students arrived, Patricia enthusiastically told me about the IBS classes she was taking. I told her to be quiet because she was making me drool. This is what I always wanted! After she packed up her books and left that night, God gave me a gentle nudge that it was finally my time to go to seminary. I started that fall as a 55 year old newly single mother of ten teen and adult children. Going to Asbury Seminary gave me my life back. True story. IBS is powerful like that. That is why I am so excited about teaching this Colossians class with IBS methods, and that’s why Patricia is so excited about Psalms that she’s teaching them in the TransPlanted women’s study every other Saturday morning. (Tune in! It’s rich!) You gotta watch out when you go to a Bible study or prayer meeting! Who knows what God will do next?!? Maybe change a life… I hope so! God is so good!

So, what is Inductive Bible Study? Hey, this is just an intro page. You’ll have to get into it to know exactly what I’m talking about! Let’s just say it’s a set of methods for seeing for yourself in a new/old way what the Bible really says and not just what you thought it said because of what someone else said. We will cover Observation (what does it say?), Interpretation (what does it mean?), and Application (what in the world am I supposed to do with it now?). Once you learn the methods, you can apply them to any Scripture passage, and, as you’ll (hopefully) see in this class, you can use them to study your own life too. That’s the “Read Your Life” part of the deal - helping you explore your God-given uniqueness, story, and purpose. I’m creating each week’s Read Your Life exercise for personal insight and transformation. 

New to Bible study? No problem! You won’t be a novice when we’re done! Questions are absolutely encouraged! It works best if you do your homework, but if you don’t, or if you’ve missed classes, feel free to jump in and join us anyway! You’re not getting graded. And even though each week builds on the previous ones, we will review and each class can stand on its own. I value your participation no matter what your level of experience. Just do what you can and we’ll all grow together! I can’t wait to see you there!


Join the meeting at: Weekly Wednesday Bible Study on Zoom on Wednesdays at 6:30 PM from July 15 - August 19, 2020.


No comments:

Post a Comment